— by VANNA LAND —
We soon will be seeing “Muppets” everywhere, according to the reports out of the Disney D23 Expo that happened a couple weeks ago.
So what is with the title to the new movie, “The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made”? Jason Segal — who is writing the movie — put it this way: “We are trying to bring it back to the early ’80s movies, where it’s not Muppets in the Sahara or Muppets Underwater. It’s the Muppets getting back together to put on a show, to save the studio.”
Perhaps the Muppets are just following the new trend by having a “staycation.”
No other plans for the movie, such as the release date, other than “very soon,” or production details were forthcoming, but there has been a lot of other news and announcements of the many Muppet projects in the works for late 2009 and throughout 2010.
Lylle Breier — general manager of the Muppets Studio — gave an overview of what the fans can expect to see from the Muppets in the near future during D23. A cast of 24 Muppets were also on hand and performed “Rainbow Connection” from an old-fashioned looking steamboat.
The announcements included the following:
* An original Muppet Web series with a fall 2009 launch to be called — “Cooking with Cat Cora.” Also on the web, more Muppet Viral Videos will be released on You Tube in 2010. The titles include “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “Dust in the Wind,” “American Woman,” “Popcorn,” “Carve O’Matic,” “Carol of the Bells,” “Stand By Me,” “Pumpkin Carving” and “Ghost Hunting.”
* Muppets are even invading your iPhone with applications such as “Animal’s Drum Set” (Oct 2009), “Pepe’s Love Meter” (Feb 2010), “Gonzo Grams” (Summer 2010) and “Statler & Waldorf’s Theater App” (late 2010), and a series of Muppets moving e-comics for your phone.
* An original Muppet Halloween (2010) special and appearances on TV shows such as “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition,” “America’s Funniest Home Videos” and “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.”
* The Muppets will appear on Andrea Bocelli’s upcoming Christmas album singing “Jingle Bells” and Kermit will appear with Bocelli to sing “Jingle Bells” on the David Foster’s Christmas Special to be shown on PBS.
* Finally, 2010’s expected DVD releases are “The Muppet Show: Season 4” in 2010 and “Studio DC: Almost Live!” –- A collaboration between the Muppets Studio and the Disney Channel.
Follow It’s Just Movies on Twitter at http://twitter.com/ItsJustMovies.