— by VANNA LAND —
It is common knowledge that certain movies are made to appeal to certain audiences and one of these niche movie genres is the Chick Flick.
Characters in movies have even joked about the fact that guys don’t understand the appeal of the typical Chick Flick. Many men will never admit that they have actually enjoyed a movie in this category and often insist they just go to see them to appease the women in their lives.
We women know better — men are just too macho to admit they too enjoy an occasional good romantic comedy or engrossing tear-jerking movie.
No doubt, everyone has their own list of favorite Chick Flicks from the ’90s — this is the list I have compiled. I’ve heard tale that some of them are even favored by men.
5. “Pretty Woman” (1990) — “Pretty Woman” is the story of a hooker who gets her happy ending. What most people don’t know is that “Pretty Woman” — written by J.F. Lawton — was originally written as a dark drama about prostitution on the streets of Los Angeles. Disney acquired the rights, cast Julia Roberts and Richard Gere and the movie morphed into a wonderful romantic comedy with mass appeal. Men can even admit to liking this one. It is, after all, about a pretty prostitute.
4. “Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion” (1997) — Starring Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow in the title roles, with Janeane Garofalo as a wacky chain-smoking friend, this movie is just plain fun. The two women make-up what they think is a believable “white lie” to impress their former classmates at their 10-year high school reunion. The movie is full of laughs with a sappy ending, just what many chicks love.
3. “While You Were Sleeping” (1995) — This movie is also fun to watch, as the character played by Sandra Bullock pines for the man of her dreams, played by Peter Gallagher. She rescues him from being hit by a subway train and he ends up in a coma while she is mistakenly identified as the fiancée the family has never met. Things become even more interesting as his handsome older brother, played by Bill Pullman, comes into the picture. What woman wouldn’t love this premise?
2. “Titanic” (1997) — “Titanic” definitely falls into the tear-jerker category. It is a fictional tale of poor blue-collar boy meeting a rich high class girl and the two falling in love while on a romance-inspiring cruise ship. Unfortunately, they just happen to fall in love on an “unsinkable ship” that, in fact, sinks on its maiden voyage. The movie made Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet household names and ran away with 11 Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director for James Cameron. It also ran away with many a woman’s heart.
1. “Ghost” (1990) — Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze perhaps had one of the most erotic PG-13 scenes ever filmed with the hauntingly beautiful “Unchained Melody” as a musical backdrop. I can’t help but wonder how many pottery wheels were sold as a result of that one scene. It that wasn’t enough Whoopi Goldberg is delightful and won an Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting role for her portrayal of the scene-stealing “spiritualist” Ona May Brown. This movie is just beautiful, it makes you laugh and cry no matter how many times you watch it. That is why “Ghost” is the top choice on this list. Just thinking about Patrick Swayze now brings tears to my eyes. As his character said in the movie, and he paraphrased in his last interview with Barbara Walters, “You take the love with you.”
Agree? Disagree? Let us know in the comments section.
Follow It’s Just Movies on Twitter at http://twitter.com/ItsJustMovies.